Sunday, August 28, 2016

Mixing Clay Again


It's heavy work but worth the effort.  Less than a full day's work, sore muscles aside, and we have approximately 1500 lbs of exactly the right clay for my kiln.  I've thought of buying commercial clay to ease my work load but after testing many different clays there were none that worked well at the flat cone 12 front of the kiln.  I still use Laguna B mix for some of my pots as well as a commercial sculpture body but this one is my main clay!

1000 lbs of dry ingredients in half the tub of water.

We take turns mixing with the big drill for at least 45 minutes.

This is truly the hard part.  Half a bucket is all I can manage.

Drying racks with old sheets in.

Dead freezer clay bin.

And overflow.

2 comments:

  1. Gunda.. greetings from Alberta. How happy I am to find you again. You probably will not remember, as I am sure you meet a lot of people.. but my husband, son and I visited your studio a few years ago.. (yes, I would have to really think about when).. I do remember I encouraged you to either start a blog, or write on your blog.. :).. and now I am happy to see you are doing that. Somewhere along the line, I lost track of your work. Anyways..pleased to see what you have been doing. :).. hope the clay mixing has gone well and the clay is perfect! :).. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your interest, Trish. I've been writing/posting my blog for 7 years now! Can hardly believe it's been that long.

    ReplyDelete