Thursday, March 13, 2014

Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend

I've been woodfiring for ten years now.  The first kiln was a Bourry box kiln - almost no ash on the pots and an easy clean up of the shelves, even with salt glazing.  Just used a scraper and a silicone carbide grinding block.  The new kiln, on the other hand, gets fiercely hot (cone 12 flat at the front) and  deposits a fair amount of ash, especially on the first 2 stacks, so clean up has been the absolute worst part of my job (which is the best job in the world) until last year.  I'd been using masonry discs on my angle grinder and was going through at least 10 per firing and taking hours and hours and hours.  Last year my clever husband found these amazing diamond cups for the angle grinder and now all 20 shelves are cleaned and have new kiln wash in under 2 hours!!  Wish I'd known 5 years ago.  New wood firers take note.



No comments:

Post a Comment