Monday, July 23, 2012

Ash Glaze

This is my new favourite glaze.  A few years ago we cleared some cedar trees from the area where the new garage was going to go.   The wood was taken away to be milled but the boughs were all burned in a big pile leaving a lovely fine grey ash from the branches and green bits.  I finally tested the ash in a very simple 2 part glaze of ash and slip clay and this is what I got.  The soft yellow is from the back of the kiln and the dark brown is from the front where the heavier reduction occurs.  It has a soft, buttery, feel and the slight rivulet look of a proper ash glaze, which it is.  I'd thought that this would be a potters' glaze with limited appeal to my regular, non-potter customers but surprise, surprise - more than half the ash glaze pieces from this firing have sold, and not to potters.  It's always so gratifying to have the pieces that you love the most be well received by your customers.










1 comment:

  1. Not only does your work look beautiful, I think food and drink taste better coming from your pottery! :)
    hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete